Monday, April 12, 2010

a few words

Now, that I’ve been in my site for a few weeks, and have started to settle in I’ve realized there’s no excuse not to give a few updates. Even if the internet connection makes me rage a little bit.

After swearing in as Peace Corps Volunteer a few weeks ago, a few fun nights in Antigua celebrating and salsa dancing, I’ve slowly been making the transition of making this new town my home. I didn’t think it’d be so difficult to leave my training town of only three months. But as I was boarding the camioneta, weighed down and clumsy with too much luggage, nearly taking out an old indigenous lady on the way, I was reminiscent of moving out of home for the first time. My host Mom was standing on the corner gritando to be careful. Not to let anyone touch my stuff. Keep my money in my bra. Con cuidado. I realized that I was finally going to be independent, after a long three months of constant supervision from the Peace Corps. From my host family. Being constantly surrounded by other Peace Corps friends. I am finally on my own...kind of.

I guess there was definite reason for me to be a bit apprehensive about my new move. Just fifteen minutes later my compañera de trabajo called me, very uspet, to say that she just had 2000 quetzales stolen from her on the camioneta.

Now we’re slowly settling in to our new town. Buying stuff for our homes. Adjusting to the new family im living with. Cooking and baking way too much food. Discovering my new obsession with avocados (why didnt anyone let me know how tasty they are before!?!).

Work is also going great. We will be working with all 17 schools in the municipality. It is a slow process, because we have to go around to each school, introduce ourselves to each classroom, have meeting with the directors and teachers of every school. But now, I walk around the pueblo and cant go for more than a few minutes without some kid or teacher stopping to talk with me.

Yesterday night, I joined an Evangelical prayer group. I am really not sure how that happened. Most of you that know me, are probably confused right now. But yes it was a lot of prayer and worship songs. Interesting. In exchange, I now how access to to fresh avocado trees. Worth it? I think so.

Bueno, that is it for now. But expect more updates.

Con mucho amor.

amber

2 comments:

  1. although i miss you quite an ish...i have to say that i LOVE your writing style--and this slightly makes up for your absence. please write more, not only because it is quite entertaining but also because i love a peak at your life every chance i get;).
    besotes mi niña!
    xxxxxxxx
    j

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like your having a great adventure! I just looked at pictures of Antigua. It looks georgous. It a big city through right? No more latrines? Have you heard anything about the guatamala trip coming in August?

    ReplyDelete