Saturday, September 10, 2011

No excuses...

Only 6 months left here in Guatemala and sadly I have only posted on this blog 12 times. I'd like to say it is because I have been sending detailed emails, long skype conversation or phone calls to loved ones at home, but well, that is just not the case. I have been completely wrapped up in my life here, that I just have failed at communicating for the past year and a half or so.
I will try to make up for it, not through exhaustive paragraphs about my months here in site, but through pictures.
November 1st, 2010- Celebrated Día de Todos Santos with lovely visitors from home. A beautiful day to commemorate the deceased. Huge kites are made in Sumpango a town close to mine. And in smaller communities people fly kites in the cemeteries, and clean up tombstones. It is one of my favorite traditions I have experienced here in Guatemala.
Took A trip to Río Dulce and Livingston for Thanksgiving. This area of the country is distinct for its Garifuna (Afro-Carribean) culture. The area was alive with music and dancing for National Garifuna Day. It was a nice relief to see a different side of Guatemala, wear skirts that went above my knees, see some great dancing, and pretty much just relax to a different rhythm of life.
Discovered the beauty of home cooked beans over a wood fire and ceramic pots. (Thats Don Checha from my host family, and sitemate Abigail)
February 2011- Gave workshops on how to maintain a Healthy School to around 200 teachers and directors. They were great, but some teachers have a hard time paying attention to two 23 year old girls, and respecting us. They tend to try to talk over us, or answer their cell phones...So, we decided to make the CASCO de RESPETO. We warned everyone at the beginning if they started to do anything disrespectful, they would have to wear the helmet for 5 minutes. It worked for a bit...until certain teachers actually like the attention. Oh well, we tried.
Where´s Waldo?
Well thats it for today, I´ll post more tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment